Saturday, December 1, 2018

Throttle & Advance/Retard Controls

The control twistgrips had a lot of slack in the working so push/pull movements weren't very well defined. I dismantled the twistgrips to study workings. It was discovered there was an important piece missing from cable mechanisms inside both handlebars. Schematic parts list diagram, part #14
I propose to make these bits then solder new bowden outer cable to them. The plan is to get nylon lined bowden outer and single strand inner from a local mower supply shop. About 2 years ago I made a similar cable for my Panhead so am hoping to replicate the task.

The twistgrips had a significant amount of endfloat so I added a suitable shim to each. Pic of RH advance/retard dismantled with shim in place.


8Dec2018 I haven't been able to find local stocks of this cable. It's bigger than typical lawnmower. I may elect to import from a dealer in Canada but currently a postal strike disrupts.

No comments:

Post a Comment